THE ROLE OF PLAN INTERNATIONAL CAMEROON IN THE PROTECTION OF THE RIGHT OF THE VULNERABLE DURING CRISIS IN THE NORTHWEST REGION OF CAMEROON
No of pages
|MS Word & PDF|
The custom academic work that we provide is a powerful tool that will facilitate and boost your coursework, grades and examination results. Professionalism is at the core of our dealings with clients
For more project materials and info!
Call us here
Children are human beings below the age of 18 years. They are unique and privileged since they are a vulnerable group of human beings. Children have human rights such as the right to education, health and a standard of living.
These rights have to be respected and protected. The ideas that animated children’s right movement developed after the Second World War and the atrocities of The Holocaust. Children are often victims of bad treatment, negative social and cultural practices, sexual abuse and all forms of economic hazardous exploitation.
This research exposes the role played by Plan international Cameroon in protecting the right of the vulnerable (Children, widows and the elderly) in the Northwest region of Cameroon. It therefore becomes necessary to investigate the activities violating children’s rights and possible mechanisms.
This work adopts the doctrinal research method which is appropriate in law. It therefore makes use of content analysis, data was also gotten through in-depth interview and Focused group discussion.
International legal instruments protecting children’s rights at the international level are discussed in relation to the various rights of children. In Cameroon, international legal instruments have precedence over national instruments protecting children’s rights.
These international legal instruments are ratified and applied with other national instruments protecting children’s rights, yet, these rights are still violated.
It is recommended that measures should be taken to intensify the fight against child labour in the area of education especially during crisis. Cameroon has a good legal framework for the protection of children’s rights. However, children living in the Northwest regions are more vulnerable and are exposed to many dangerous atrocities.
1.3 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The principal concern of this work is to ascertain the height of Human right protection of the vulnerable groups by Plan international Cameroon during the crisis in the Northwest Region of Cameroon. Vulnerable groups such as children, woman and girls, elderly persons, disabled and refugees most often than not subjected to massive violations of their inalienable rights. Hence, this work will draw an appraisal in both its violations and laws regulating it both national and international. Also various difficulties faced in implanting human rights decision to protect the underdogs in our society. Added will be various problems and solutions.
victimization of human rights defenders for vulnerable: Firstly, according to the Amnesty international report 2016,the very first problem with the implementation of human rights especially with the vulnerable groups is the victimization of Human rights defenders. The government most likely harasses human right activist as they are seen as threat and causing insecurity to the nation building while advocating their work. This mostly occurs in countries like Chad, Cameroon, and Central African Republic amongst others. There are prosecuted and jailed. Ironically, international community’s which these governments have ratified treaties which stay mute and act only prior to massive violations
The issue that occurred in the North West regions in November 2016 in particular where boyss and girls were been subjected to torture and rape respectively. This has left many Cameroonians to ask the following questions;
- To what extent is the right of women and children safeguarded in Cameroon?
- To what extent has the legislature and judiciary uphold the principle of women’s right and children’s rights in Cameroon and what mechanisms has been used by the Cameroon government to enforce the rights of women?
Vast report has been produced by the International Labour Organization (ILO) as to what has become the incidence rate of children working between the aged of 5 to 14 years old. A vast majority of children Labour is seen in rural and also some in informal urban areas as children are predominantly employed by their parents. Reports from the ILO show that child’s Labour is a growing phenomenon in Cameroon. Many people are unaware of the ever-increasing violation of children’s right through child’s Labour thus to be asked are;
- What determines child’s Labour?
- What effect does it have on the rights of children in Cameroon?
Also, it becomes a problem as the lack of information to the National Commission where violations of right of the vulnerable exist in rural areas in the Northwest region of Cameroon, amidst the Anglophone war of independence. These violations are unreported most at times because the commission ends with its activities only in urban areas. The commission is not everywhere as such, human right violation especially violation of those of the vulnerable are not accounted for especially in remote areas. All these leave a question if the vulnerable are actually been protected?
1.3 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1.3.1 MAIN RESEARCH QUESTION
- What is the role of plan international Cameroon in the protection of the right of the vulnerable during crisis in the northwest region of Cameroon?
1.3.1 SPECIFIC RESEARCH QUESTION
The research project seeks to answer the following Specific questions;
- What are the legal bases of the role of plan international in the protection of rights of vulnerable persons during crisis?
- What are the activities of plan International, specific towards the protection of rights of vulnerable persons (children and adolescent youths) in the North West Region during crisis?
- What are the challenges faced by Plan International in the protection of the rights of vulnerable persons during crisis.
- What is the way forward to the protection of the rights of the vulnerable
1.4 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
This study is carried out to achieve the following objectives. There exist both a general as well as a specific objective of this work.
1.4.1 MAIN OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
1.4.1 General objective
The main objective of this work is to examine the protection of the rights of the vulnerable group by plan international Cameroon during the crisis in the Northwest Region of Cameroon
1.4.2 Specific objective
The specific objective of this work shall include amongst other things the following?
- To examine the legal bases of the role of plan international in the protection of rights of vulnerable persons during crisis
- To identify the activities of plan International, specific towards the protection of rights of vulnerable persons (children and adolescent youths) in the North West Region during crisis
- To bring out the challenges faced by Plan International in the protection of the rights of vulnerable persons during crisis.
- To propose policy recommendations and a way forward to the protection of the rights of the vulnerable in the Northwest region of Cameroon
- This study is based on the assumption that the crisis in the North West region of Cameroon has affected human rights NGOs and the government from protecting human rights most especially the vulnerable group during crisis situation
- These legal instruments might better protect the rights of the vulnerable group in the Northwest region of Cameroon if they are effectively implemented by states.
- The activities carried out by plan international can help reduce the suffering of the vulnerable group in the Northwest region of Cameroon if they are given access to the conflict hilted areas in the region
- There are many challenges faced in the protection of the rights of the vulnerable. The vulnerable and children and the elderly also faced many difficulties in the North west region of Cameroon